Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Some kind of wonderful!

A wonderful Parsi gentleman unknowingly bequeathed me a treasure. He left me not just his rare collection of books but also pages of his life still fresh with the smell of his memories and the faded blue ink of this fountain pen. I can't wait to write about my Sunday in a garage piled with what I love...old, moth eaten, dusty, mouldy books. It was a heady Sunday well spent losing myself in the cacophony of dusty, old books. He had all the books I've possibly always wanted to own..Kerouac, Flaubert, Ionesco, Waugh, Graham Greene, countless English and American Anthologies, Indian writing, Brecht, Wesker, Chekov, Miller, Fitzgerald! (A catalogue will be up soon). I also found some priceless editions of Life magazine, old editions of the Encounter and the London Literary Magazine. I cannot even begin to tell you about all the books this man had! Right now my room is overflowing with his treasure...here's just a peek from the crime site.

6 comments:

Shalini said...

Wow, what a treasure! It's going to take quite some time to catalog them all.

Mishree said...

lucky u,j!

JD said...

I will probably borrow one, once the dust settles :-)

overturned blue shoe said...

all are most welcome to flip through and borrow:)

Sujoy Bhattacharjee said...

Much drooling...
Bottle-green with envy...
Sigh! Some people have all the luck in the world...

Pair of brown eyes said...

jennifer lucky thomas!! :)