Thursday, November 12, 2009

An Evening

One wall of my living room has been broken down to make large french windows and a glass door. This allows for a judicious view of the world outside. The odd days that I am at home, I dislike being indoors between five and seven in the evening. I often get a glimpse of the dark dusk sky invading the blue of the day. As the lamps are lit, the soft yellow of the 40 watts bulbs mingles with the dark blue of the sky outside.All doors and windows are ritualistically closed, to keep the errant mosquitoes out. All this somehow often makes me feel a little somber, and all I want is to be swallowed by a dark, warm blanket.

Today, as I went about with this routine, I unusually heard a lot of noises outside the window. Beyond our compound wall is a small field, with a few trees. Curiously, I peeked out and saw winged creatures swarming around it. The evening sky was full of them, all probably headed back home. Caught in the dull mechanics of urban existence, I often forget this city doesn't have just black crows and noisy pigeons. As I surveyed the sky, it was checkered with birds of different sizes in hues of black, grey, white, brown and even red and pink ! This evening, one tree was particularly abuzz with a flurry of conversations. I've often heard a stray koel or a crow, but this was different. The members of this housing colony were innumerable green winged beings. Their loud, incessant chirping was accompanied with an ocassional angry whosh of a wing, as someone stormed out of the branches, or someone fluttered back home.

The humdrum of the approaching night and the drone of the electric fan was drowned, if only temporarily by their magical conversations. Indecipherable.Magical.

I think I have found reason to be a little less unhappy between five and seven p.m.

8 comments:

JD said...

i could actually feel like i was at ur place..
wish u happy days ahead.. why shd happiness be restricted to 2 hrs in the evening alone??

Sujoy Bhattacharjee said...

Extremely well-written. Vivid descriptions. You have managed to turn an everyday event into a celebration of life.
Waiting for more like this.

overturned blue shoe said...

@JD and Sujoy: Thanks :)

The Holy Lama said...

Those words painted the scene for us. Beautiful

Anonymous said...

why only trees? birds? why cant there be life and celebration in urbanity? a busy street full of people can be equally intriguing, don't you think?

the same anonymous person who still choses to be so...

overturned blue shoe said...

@holy lama: thanks for visiting:)
dear anonymous, leave a trail, so I can stalk YOU!;)You don't follow my blog regularly enough! i do write about my joyous urban existence.check out my yellow pages.

Anonymous said...

i have read your yellow pages and i do follow your blog regularly. its that i am not much of the 'visible' kind, in appearance and expression. something you must have got by now. stalking is not such a good idea, especially when its directed towards someone of my kind. perhaps when you meet 'him' out of your yellow pages, at the red bus stop, or will be handing out change to the toll patrol, i will be standing somewhere near smiling at the brilliant randomness of being :D

btw, congratulations for the marriage plans ;)

overturned blue shoe said...

@anonymous:I don't have marriage plans. I'm intrigued, what is 'your' kind?