Monday, January 04, 2010

Rumblings

I sit back and stare at the blankness of the white dashboard on my screen. My fingers itch to type something. But I punch in this instead. Words and images whir through the mess that is my head. I momentarily feel like something is going to burst. With a short but loud 'pop'. Petering into a soft fizzle. Nothing happens. I think of a few well rehearsed lines to write, so I could sound grand, or may be profound or may be interesting. I scroll  the gray button on my black mouse up and down. Randomly. The bloody auto editor underlines my 'grey' in red and indicates to me  I am wrong. I correct it. I spell it as g-r-a-y. The utter blandness of my writing of the past months strikes me. The remarkable insignificance of my words makes me cringe. There's an unusual cold wind rustling the orange curtains in my window.The soft beat of the wind chime does little to drown the noise of the silence around me. I switch on the television just to make sure the noises inside my head become inaudible. The very happy people on Channel V make me cringe a little more. I switch it off. Now i can hear the comfortable breathing of my dog. It is in perfect harmony with his little tummy which goes up and down and up with every breathe. The curtain rustles a little more. This is uncannily cold by my city standards.

I decide to call it a day.
I'll savour the cold, so rare in my city, on my train ride to work tomorrow.

9 comments:

Mishree said...

I love u,jenny :-)

Sujoy Bhattacharjee said...

Writers block, hope that is what it is :)

Dilkash Akhtar Wakeel said...

Beautifully written.

DramaticPassion said...

Nice post. I'm looking for bloging buddies check out my blog if you like follow me and allow me have you advice.

overturned blue shoe said...

@mishree--> :)
@sujoy--> it seems a more serious problem...life maybe? *throws hands up in the air*
@ dilkash--> welcome to my blog! and thanks :)
@ dramatic passion --> Thanks for visiting, look forward to seeing you here more often.as for advice, i dont offer that too often!:)

JD said...

hope to read your next post soon.. winter is hell this year!!

Mayuri 'Meera' said...

don't even say it's cold in bombay... the weather column on my iGoogle reads 2(London 3:30pm) and 27(Mumbai 9pm)

Sh@s said...

I can relate to ur post. Very often i feel like that and stare at my computer screen as i type whatevr random thoughts or words come to my mind.

overturned blue shoe said...

@JD:I am really happy to see you come back to my blog, time and again. :)
@mayuri:mumbai's back to sultryyy and hot :(
@shas: strange thing is we seem to make most meaning in such random moments. no?