Friday, January 29, 2010

Speculations anyone?

"You're still the same! Just as you were in Junior college." She said with no hint of incredulity.
"Really?" I ask, stunned.

Cringe.
Cringe.

Brain doing a mental check:
Should I let my hair down and show her how wild it can get?
Should I rattle off unsavory invectives I've picked up over the years, in different languages?
Should I flash her a packet of goldflake lights?
Or my shiny new credit card?
Try getting her into an argument about Mumbai v/s Bombay or Obama's policies?

She's judged me. 
But she tries to be judicious


As an after thought she adds, "No but I'm sure there's lots more up there now." (Pointing to the wonderful brain inside her wonderful head)


"So do you still attend the Music fest in college?" (the college I left five years back)
"No" I say.

It's her turn to cringe now. That's it.I've confirmed her speculation .
I exit, so she can be happy about her judgment.
 
I wonder why I stopped by to say a hi to her in the first place.

In this country, speculations are a national pastime. Or so I speculate and comfort myself.

4 comments:

Pair of brown eyes said...

I wish I could write. Then even my vents would be interesting to read! :( :)
Love.

aayanman said...

If you liked clockwork orange...then i am guessing you might like irvin yalom, good intense stuff.

First time here, quite enjoying reading some of your posts.

Sh@s said...

Cna't help ppl of that kind coz here ppl are more bothered about others than their own life.

overturned blue shoe said...

@proma:sit.type.its easy.trust me :)
@gyanban: hey welcome to my blog, and thanks for stopping by. and thanks for the suggestion too!never read anything by yalom.
@shas:couldn't agree more with you. and thanks for coming back to my blog:)